live Stranger

Monday, November 27, 2006

Weekend retreat and the new martial artsit.

The school that I teach at just had an awesome retreat. I think all schools should have something like this. That is, if the teachers are capable of boogting down with their students. I've never seen a sixty year old venerated teacher stand up on wooden poles that were in the hands of his students. The kids held him up high over their heads and gently bounced him up and down. And he stood with confidece, notwithstanding the joggling up and down of twnety excited teenage boys.

Before the party on Sat night started we had to rouse up the kids, get them in the right mood. First I started jumping over people. Soon boys were bouncing all over the room like an anti gravity pinball machine. Then I invented a new martail art form that I call the crab. It involves walking low to the ground (putting a tremendous strain on the quads) and then waving your hands around like the giant claws of the famous sea urchin. Dangerous just to look at, because most people, after breaking out of their awe and wonder for this new and graceful form, ended breaking down with laughing fits.

The kids didnt break out of the awe. Theyre still asking me where did you learn that. Is it dangerous. Can you really hurt people. Maybe you can teach me.

Im still laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter